During CTO Roundtable #5, we discussed a problem of legacy code. It affects many fast-growing software companies and can lead to increased costs of maintenance, reduced scalability and security risks.
How to prevent it and how to fix it when it happens? Our host, Gerbert Oude Velthuis (CTO of Travelia, General Manager for NL at The Software House) discussed it with guest speakers:
- Peter van Dijk – Product Development & Innovation Manager at GOconnectIT
- Juha-Pekka Laine – Vice President of Technology at Midaxo
- Remco Jorna – Chief Technology Officer at FintechOS
It was an insightful conversation that included some real-life scenarios Tech Managers need to face:
– My company just acquired a company and their solution is using deprecated software and needs to integrate with my existing environment and systems. How to do that?
– I want to prevent legacy code most efficiently and ensure my solutions stay maintainable as it is now.
– I was appointed the CTO of a company and I see that we need to rewrite the code behind our products/solutions because there’s nobody left who understands it.
– Our business is booming now but the products/solutions that we sell no longer keep up with the needs of our new clients.
– I find it difficult to employ new software developers for my in-house team, as nobody wants to work with the legacy code that we have here.
About the event series
Every month, TSH NL General Manager – Gerbert Oude Velthuis, joined by top technology leaders, digs into the people, process, and technology topics that are defining today’s CTOs. Should you want to become our speaker – make sure to visit our CTO Roundtables website.